Newark Air Museum
On Saturday 30th November 2013 a small ceremony took place to unveil a commemorative plaque to mark one of Nottinghamshire’s earliest aviation events; the 200th Anniversary of the first successful balloon flight from Nottingham.
The plaque has been located close to what is believed to have been the original launch site for the balloon, which was once open land next to the canal; this location was originally called Company’s Wharf. It is on the wall by the entrance of the Fellows, Morton and Clayton pub on Canal Street, Nottingham, which is almost opposite to the Broadmarsh Bus Station.
Approval to get the plaque sited in the city was secured by the Nottingham Civic Society and the East Midlands Balloon Group. Various civic dignitaries and local balloonists were on hand to see the Sheriff of Nottingham unveil the plaque.
Back in 1813, it is understood that thousands of people travelled to Nottingham to witness the balloon flight, which was made by James Sadler on 1st November 1813. This new plaque is the latest of several new memorials, which will be featured in a revised Nottinghamshire aviation memorials publication that is currently being compiled by the Newark Air Museum.