George Muir: Memories of Cellardyke, Scottish Fisheries Museum

4th February 2014

11 February - 16 March 2014. An exhibition curated by Ian Murray, based on the tape recordings of his uncle George Muir, fisherman of Cellardyke.

Exhibit photograph

George was born in 1909 at 29 Shore Street, Cellardyke where his parents John and Lisbeth (Keay) Muir lived, it being the house of his grandfather Geordie Keay. Later when he married Ina Ritchie, they lived for many years just across the road at number 33.

George spent all his life at sea, first as a laddie helping his grandfather in the yawl “Choise”, then at 15 years old as the cook on the steam drifter “Refloresco” with his father as skipper. He was a crewman on the “Agnes Gardner” and the “Menat” before joining the steam drifter “Spes Aurea”, fishing for herring and with great lines. In due course George got his skipper’s ticket and later became skipper of the trawler “Ocean View” working out of Granton.

He was persuaded by Peter Smith, maths teacher and passionate local historian, to record his memories of Cellardyke in its “heyday”. His earliest memories date from 1920 or so and, although all the boats were, by this time, based in Anstruther, most of the fishermen lived in Cellardyke.

  • His recollections take visiotrs on a journey through the streets of Cellardyke, recalling the skippers, their boats and many other businesses on the go in this period. Where possible, photographs of the 70 or so people named are on show, alongside information from George’s recordings.

    The museum invites people to come and share their own memories of the time. Perhaps there are still photographs and other items stored away that could help to fill in the gaps in the story.

The Scottish Fisheries Museum is operated by an independent charitable trust and tells the story of the Scottish fishing industry and its people from the earliest times to the present.

Exhibition dates: 11 February – 16 March 2014
Open : Mon – Sat : 10 – 4.30, Sun : 12 – 4.30, last admissions 1 hour before closing

Entry : included in museum admission, accompanied children FREE

Ian Murray, the exhibition’s curator, will be on hand to talk to visitors on Friday afternoons when admission to the exhibition will be free.

A : St Ayles, Harbourhead, Anstruther, Fife KY10 3AB
T : 01333 310628
E :
W :